Strawberry Shortcake Protein Mug cake is an easy and delicious way to get your sweet tooth fix and still prep for a fitness competition!
A few weeks ago a friend of mine sent me the most beautiful photo of a strawberry shortcake creation with the caption, “there’s got to be a healthier way to make this!” My wheels instantly starting spinning with ideas until finally I had a lightbulb moment. Strawberry shortcake “protein” mug cake, yes!
Now, for those of you not familiar with the fitness industry, protein mug cake is one of the most simple ways to get your sweet tooth fix while prepping for a fitness competition. It’s also one of the easiest ways to get a full protein serving in and let’s face it, tastes freaking amazing! The recipe is essentially the same each time and includes protein powder, baking powder, egg whites, non-wheat flour, some form of liquid, and maybe some other fun ingredients to jazz it up. All you do is mix, pop it in the microwave and you’ve got yourself a quick 2 minute dessert without all the unwanted sugars and fat.
While in scheming mode for this quick recipe it also occurred to me that my newest affiliate partner Nuzest has a Wild Strawberry flavored protein powder. Ding, ding, ding jackpot! A quick word about Nuzest if I may. I can’t tell you how happy I am to have found a protein powder that doesn’t hurt my gut and if I’m being completely honest which you know I will, doesn’t give me protein toots. Haha! C’mon don’t kid yourselves, you all know exactly what I’m talking about! I am not vegan by any means and I don’t think that sugar is the devil but I do try my best to eliminate any unnecessary additives, fillers, and whey products that are in many protein powders these days. On the flip side vegan protein powders generally taste like gritty flavored dirt. Yeah not good! My friend and fellow blogger thenaturallynatalie.com turned me on to Nuzest a few months back and I’ve been loving it ever since so a big ole’ thank you my cute Canadian friend!
If you’d like to try some out for yourself go to https://www.nuzest-usa.com and enter ‘NICOLEDARABI’ for 15% off ALL orders. Also receive free shipping over $50 with the coupon code! If you’re the noncommittal type you can try the Clean Lean Sample Pack
Now, on to to the recipe!
Strawberry Shortcake Protein Mug Cake
- Yield: Yields 1
- Cook Time:
Strawberry shortcake without the guilt
- 2 Scoops Nuzest Wild Strawberry protein powder
- 3 tbsp liquid egg whites
- 1/2 Siggis strawberry 5.3oz yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp Almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- SoDelicious coconut whip cream lite
- 4-5 medium strawberries
- fresh lemon juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Compote – slice strawberries equally and pour into a saucepan w/coconut sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil then turn down to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- While compote is cooking, mix all “cake” ingredients except whip cream in a bowl until smooth. (Note: All proteins powder mix differently so you may need less or more liquid to get it smooth)
- Spray large drinking mug with non stick cooking spray and spoon in mixed batter.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes
- Once cake is cooked dump onto a plate and slice into two halves layering a bit of compote and whip cream, repeat.
Nutritional Value/Macro count
Calories – 316
Carbs – 30g
Protein – 35g
Fat – 5g
If you are logging this recipe into MyFitnessPal, I have entered the entire recipe already for our convenience. You can find it by searching "Nicole Darabi’s Strawberry Shortcake Protein Mug Cake".
Remember, it’s YOU vs. YOU!
Follow Nicole Darabi on Instagram and show me what recipes you are making from my blog! Use the hashtag #nicoledarabirecipes so that I can see what you are making in your kitchen!