Last Sunday I was finally dressed in clothing other than workout gear. Yeah I know it’s a miracle! I figured it was the perfect opportunity to have my husband take some photos while I whipped up our lunches for the week and I looked somewhat human.
Spring is a wonderful time to cook with foods that are in season, like asparagus and peas. Head to your local farmers markets and scope out what’s available in your area and get creative. I had bunches of random ingredients in my fridge and mounds of chicken that was previously cooked the day before. I decided to see what kind of spring inspired soup I could concoct and crossed my finger that it would be edible! I think this one was a win win both in flavor and longevity throughout the week.
Spring Inspired Lemony Soup[print-me do_not_print=".emoji"]
- Yield: Serves 8-10
- Cook Time:
Marinade for previously cooked Chicken: Lemon zest, juice from 1 whole lemon, 2 tbsp olive oil, lemon pepper, 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 8 chicken breasts – I had previously marinated and cooked the chicken breasts the day before. You can chose to cut up raw chicken and sauté in pot before adding other ingredients.
- Whole wheat pearl couscous – (Previously cooked & contained separately in fridge)
I sprinkled a little in each container after the fact. Be careful if you’re watching your carbs as Pearl couscous is a very high carb choice.
- 32 oz Low Sodium Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 yellow zucchinis
- 2 carrots
- 1 sweet onion
- garlic powder
- zest of one lemon
- juice from one lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt/pepper
- Heat up the largest pot you have available on medium high and drizzle olive oil at the bottom.
- Toss in chopped onion, dried basil, oregano – sauté until golden
- At this point if you don’t have previously cooked chicken you can cube and sauté raw chicken over onion mixture until browned. (I personally love the smokey flavor of Traeger chicken so I like to cook mine separately and add the chicken in last few minutes of cooking.)
- Add chicken broth, asparagus, peas, canned tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, garlic powder, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sea salt/pepper.
Let boil for a 5 min then reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked – about 20 minutes.
- At this point you can add in your carb if you want i.e. couscous, brown rice etc… I like to cook and measure mine separately because I tend to be too low on my carb macros. I like to make sure I hit my macros as closely as I can for my personal fitness goals.
- Measure and store in separate containers for an easy grab and go lunch or dinner option. This serving usually makes enough to feed my husband and I for 4-5 days.
Macro count/Based on 5oz of chicken per serve
Calories – 361
Carbs – 35 g
Protein – 38g
Fat -8 g
If you are logging this recipe into MyFitnessPal, I have entered the entire recipe already for our convenience. You can find it by searching "Nicole Darabi’s Spring Inspired Lemony Soup".
THE INSIDE JOB: containers to use, how long it lasts, how much to prep, mistakes not to make, how to add custom flavor….etc.
This dish is extremely low in fat so you can definitely add in extra olive oil or throw some sliced avocado on top. Avocados are perfect right now as well!
Remember, it’s YOU vs. YOU!
Follow Nicole Darabi on Instagram and show me what recipes you are making from my blog! Use the hashtag #nicoledarabirecipes so that I can see what you are making in your kitchen!