Perfect for fall Pumpkin Chili
My husband and I absolutely love chilis and stews when fall comes around. For one they’re so easy to make and they taste better and better each day. It’s recipes like these that make you realize bulk cooking doesn’t have to be complicated or boring!
Protein Packed Pumpkin Chili[print-me do_not_print=".emoji"]
- Yield: Serves 10-12
- Cook Time:
This fall recipe is the perfect chili for all you pumpkin addicts out there!
- 3 lbs ground bison
- 1/2 sweet onion
- tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Flavor Gods Himalayan Salt & Pink Peppercorn (to taste – Sea salt/Pepper works too)
- 1 tbsp Favor Gods Everything Spicy (or chill powder, paprika, cayenne)
- 1 can organic pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 16oz vegetable or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can garbanzo beans (rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- 1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
- green onions for garnish
- Heat up 2 large Dutch Ovens or Pots on medium heat (one for bison & one for chill)
- In one pot drizzle in tbsp olive oil and sauté diced onion until slightly browned – approximately 5 min
- While onions are sautéing place the 3 lbs of ground bison in the other pot and start breaking it up with a spatula ( I like to cook and store my protein separately for easy measuring later)
- Let bison brown for a bit & season with a garlic powder, salt/pepper – before turning down the burner to low heat
- By now the onions should be browned – pour in stock, previously rinsed garbanzos & back beans, tomatoes, pumpkin, cumin, cinnamon, Flavor Gods Something Spicy and dash of salt/pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 20min
- Check on your meat & make sure to keep mixing bison until the pink has disappeared.
- You can chose to blend Bison with Chili and contain together or…You can store bison & chili in two separate containers as pictured below.
- If you would like to add extra carbs to this meal by all means. I chose to heat up some Trader Joe’s frozen Quinoa…cause by now you all know I like time savers! 😉
Serving Size based 4oz Bison, 1/2 cup quinoa
Calories – 411
Carbs – 39g
Protein – 32g
Fat -13 g
For Lower Carb/Lower Calorie option Omit Quinoa
Calories – 270
Carbs – 15g
Protein – 27g
Fat -11 g
If you are logging this recipe into MyFitnessPal, I have entered the entire recipe already for our convenience. You can find it by searching "Nicole Darabi’s Protein Packed Pumpkin Chili".
THE INSIDE JOB: containers to use, how long it lasts, how much to prep, mistakes not to make, how to add custom flavor….etc.
- Cooking your protein separately makes for easing measuring for lunches or dinner. If I prepare this meal for dinner throughout the week I will contain meat & chill in two larger separate glass dishes.
- Add or omit quinoa for more or less carbs
- Try adding in pumpkin pie spice for slightly sweet/spicy kick
Remember, it’s YOU vs. YOU!
Follow Nicole Darabi on Instagram and show me what recipes you are making from my blog! Use the hashtag #nicoledarabirecipes so that I can see what you are making in your kitchen!