frosting not pictured
Cranberry orange bread that’s full of protein and no added sugar!
I’m not Betty Crocker by any means and baking is usually last on my list when it comes to food prep. I’ve probably spent more time looking at big piles of doo-doo in my oven instead of perfectly fluffy cakes and carefully frosted cookies. That part of my gene pool definitely passed me up!
I have, however found one exception: baking with protein powders. You’re thinking “What? That sounds disgusting Nicole.” Hear me out!
If there’s one thing I excel in, it’s fitting protein into any meal and baking is no exception. If you challenge me to take a traditional recipe that’s usually high in sugar and butter, I promise you I can turn it into a body builders dream dessert, or at least I’ll take my best stab at it. So, all you IIFYM’ers and macro counters out there, get ready to fit this beauty into your holiday food prep.
PROTEIN CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD
- Yield: Serves 6
- Cook Time:
Protein cranberry orange bread
- 4 scoops vanilla protein powder (Use one that’s better for baking. I like Quest ( http://bit.ly/2h3uPS5 ) and Devotion ( http://bit.ly/2hjSop2 )
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp liquid vanilla stevia
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- juice and zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
FROSTING – For those that like to live on the dangerous side 😉
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and prep your 9” x 5” loaf pan by spraying it with coconut oil.
- Mix all ingredients except cranberries in a large mixing bowl by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Once the dough is well blended fold in cranberries, gently blend by hand.
- Pour dough into loaf pan and bake 25 min until the top is lightly browned.
- Let cool and cut into 6 even slices. That’s it!
Macro count/6 slices per loaf – 1 slice per serving
Calories – 183 /slice
Carbs – 15g
Fat – 7g
Frosting Macro count
Calories – 22 calories
Carbs – 1g
Fat – 0g yep zero!
If you are logging this recipe into MyFitnessPal, I have entered the entire recipe already for our convenience. You can find it by searching "Nicole Darabi’s PROTEIN CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD".
Remember, it’s YOU vs. YOU!
Follow Nicole Darabi on Instagram and show me what recipes you are making from my blog! Use the hashtag #nicoledarabirecipes so that I can see what you are making in your kitchen!