Meet my adorable Canadian friend Natalie. I mean look at her! Don’t you want to hang out with her for the day? Adorable! Natalie and I met through Instagram about a year ago. Like me, she shares an insatiable passion for all things health and fitness. She’s also a crazy person, like someone else I know, and decided to take the plunge to launch her own food blog. Once we figured out how parallel our lives were we had an instant connection even though we have never met in person. Someday girl, someday! For months we have discussed collaborating together and FINALLY it’s happening. Natalie was kind enough to make these mouth watering Sweet Potato Turmeric Muffins especially for us. I know how much you all love “good for you” muffin recipes so here you go! I hope you enjoy Natalie’s authentic writing style as much as I do. She’s a gem to follow and I am the luckiest girl to have found someone who appreciates healthy living and inspiring others as much as I do. Enjoy!
It’s been far too long since I’ve posted a delicious muffin recipe! So without further ado here are TWO amazing ways to make these super moist, protein packed, anti-inflammatory Sweet potato turmeric protein muffins! Made with organic, whole food ingredients that are bound to keep you fuelled throughout the day. Did I mention they are grain free, and refined sugar-free?! HELL YES! And with the option of making them vegan using “chia eggs” these guys are perfect for anyone looking for a nutritious breakfast or satisfying anytime snack for the week ahead. Now let me take you to muffin heaven 🙂
So I’ve been obsessed with turmeric lately more than ever…. turmeric and sweet potatoes. The stains on my new shirt though, not to obsessed with those…
I honestly don’t know what it is but I would choose a plate of sweet potatoes over dessert anyday! They are just sooo satisfying and accompany literally any meal, any time of day! Its that nutty, sweet, creamy taste whether they are roasted, mashed or baked that makes them so highly addictive.
– BONUS – This humble root has numerous health benefits as Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. They are also known to actually help people lose weight! I love adding sweet potato to a soup, stew or casserole to thicken it naturally without adding high-fat creams or in this context to add healthy carbs and protein to the muffin batter, making them super moist and delicious!
As an avid and dedicated athletic 30 year old woman I truly believe working out & exercising is the key to a healthy, more youthful body, inside and out. With that said I am constantly trying to find ways to incorporate more heathy fats and carbs into my day to day meals and snacks, keeping my mind and body fuelled for the day ahead.
For example, if I find a recipe online that isn’t 100% healthy and uses processed ingredients such as butter, sugar and white flour I know I can easily swap them out for coconut oil, natural sweeteners such as maple syrup & honey and gluten-free flour or flour made directly from nuts/legumes or sprouted grains.
Here are a few examples of the ingredients I’ve chosen to use for this recipe.
- Trader Joe’s Aluminum free and double acting Baking Powder
- Trader Joe’s extra fine blanched whole Almond flour
- and 365 Everyday organic Turmeric
Here are some great ways to use turmeric:
- Blended into a smoothie for a bit of bite and a brilliant golden color
- Grated into Greek yogurt for a fabulous dipping sauce
- Stirred into rice or lentil dishes, or better yet, added before cooking to give everything a yellow tinge
- Rub onto meats or fish before grilling
- Whisk into homemade salad dressings like my “Creamy Tahini Dressing“
- Made into a paste for the start of the warming drink known as Golden Milk
Next up we have the star of the show….
Organic Peanut Butter … HI!
Some of you may be confused as I haven’t officially announced that I am now 100% allergy free of any Nuts! I know it seems weird however after over 6 years of being diagnosed with a nut allergy I was re-tested and have grown out of the phase… somehow. Don’t you worry Sunbutter your still my fav!!!
Because honestly what is a muffin without being sliced in half and slathered with nut butter….. I told you I would be taking you to muffin heaven!
You have now arrived!
Lastly, I want to do a huge shoutout to Nuzest who has just recently hired me to become an ambassador of there company! Click on this link to receive a FREE SAMPLE today! Also get free shipping! when you sign up for there newsletter and they’ll send you a coupon code for free shipping* on your first order!* US and Canada Only.
And be sure to use coupon code “thenaturallynatalie” upon checkout for your 15% discount!
Clean Lean Protein is the world’s best source of vegetable protein. All natural and free from common allergens, it’s 100% vegetable, yet has all the potency (and then some) of other proteins – without the fillers, artificial flavors and other additives.
Sourced from European Golden Peas, Clean Lean Protein has up to 90% protein content, is low in carbohydrates and easy to digest, so you can enjoy it daily. Super-charged with all the essential amino acids your body needs and a pH of 7.8 (alkaline), Clean Lean Protein is the ultimate supplement for those who lead healthy lifestyles and are discerning about what they put in their body.
Now you can all breath a sigh of relief as you add these muffins to your meal plan for this coming week’s breakfast or snack time! I gotcha covered 😉
(dairy-free) *vegan – option*
Guest Recipe! – The Naturally Natalie – GRAIN FREE SWEET POTATO TURMERIC PROTEIN MUFFINS
- Yield: 30 Minis or 8 Large
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 3 pastured eggs *vegan option of using “chia eggs” below
- 1/2 cup unsalted nut/sunflower butter of choice *I like to use Sunbutter brand however any unsalted raw nut butter works
- 2/3 cup sweet potato roasted, flesh only
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unrefined organic coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar *I like to use Braggs brand
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric *I like to use 365 brand
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1-2 scoops Nuzest Vanilla Clean Lean Protein *optional
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a mini or regular size muffin pan (I used both to show sizes of each)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all wet ingredients until very smooth.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together all dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients into wet, mixing until no clumps remind.
- Spoon into muffin tin of choice. *These won’t rise a ton so really fill the cups well!*
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (for mini’s) or 25-35 minutes for larger ones, keeping a close eye on them and baking until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container or Ziplock bag in the fridge.
- For anyone wanting to make this recipe vegan replacing pastured eggs with “chia eggs” simply (for each egg) combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of water. Stir well, and place in the fridge to set for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the result should be a sticky egg-like substitute. Add in with wet ingredients and continue to bake.
*Any leftover roasted sweet potato you may have, store in an airtight container and enjoy through the week on salads or as a side dish to any meal or snack!
If you are logging this recipe into MyFitnessPal, I have entered the entire recipe already for our convenience. You can find it by searching "Nicole Darabi’s Guest Recipe! – The Naturally Natalie – GRAIN FREE SWEET POTATO TURMERIC PROTEIN MUFFINS".
Remember, it’s YOU vs. YOU!
Follow Nicole Darabi on Instagram and show me what recipes you are making from my blog! Use the hashtag #nicoledarabirecipes so that I can see what you are making in your kitchen!