This week I am extra proud to feature my friend & brother from another Mother @greek_spartan (AKA Andreas Papas) as he explains the benefits of weight training for women. Listen up ladies! 👂🏼
✨If you’re female & you’re not weight training you’re missing out on so many positive benefits.
• The only way to get that “toned” look is to build some muscle & lose body fat. This is where strength training reigns supreme over cardio any day! There is no doubt that women NEED weight training to be healthy and strong long term. 🏋🏻♀️
✅ Increases bone strength & reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
✅ Increases lean body mass, optimized metabolism, hormones, & decreases body fat
✅ Can aid in improving one’s self image, self-esteem, & self-confidence.
• You’ll often see men lifting weights & women hopping on cardio machines 🙅🏻
• The fact is men do start with more muscle & strength than women, however relative short strength gains actually tend to be higher in women.
• Let’s take in to account that females only produce around 5-10% as much testosterone as men. But it’s not the only hormone that plays a role. Let’s also not forget the powerful anabolic force that estrogen possesses in muscle tissue.
• Genetics play a big role, hence the reason some men can grown muscle more easily and some can’t, & the same applies for women.
• The majority of women respond very well to resistance training & respond especially well to higher rep training.
• You think women aren’t meant for weight training, well they are & can possibly handle more than men.
• Muscle & strength gains longterm may be similar for both men & women. In fact longterm rates of strength gains may be slightly higher in women!
• The outcomes of strength training for men and women are very similar at the end of the day.
• Women are in fact maybe a little better than us in many ways. They have higher recovery capacity & ability to tolerate greater training frequency, volume, & recover better between sets. It may even be that women might have the upper hand. (Ya heard that right!) 🙌🏼
• Pound for pound women K.O. the male Not so much in upper body but lower body they’ll give me a run for their money.
• Bottom line – women are meant for weight training. Strength is your key to build the body you want. Slow down on the cardio & not the weights.