Weekly food prep becomes art with this delicata meal to swoon over.
Squash obsessed peeps raise your hands!
In past years I had turned up my nose to squash because in my opinion it can be a total pain to work with. Certain varieties are difficult to cut, de-seed, and oh my god they take forever to cook! Delicata squash seems to be a hidden gem in the squash community though. My husbands facial features said it all when he took a bite of this meal the other day. Eyes closed and savoring each bite he said “Can we have this over sweet potatoes pretty please?” That’s a pretty bold statement. Why yes, yes we can while they are still in season.
I don’t think I’ve ever made a more visually appealing, tastebud awakening lunch/dinner prep before this one. Although this prep may be a little more time consuming than past posts it’s 1,000% worth it!
DELICATA SQUASH WARM KALE SALAD[print-me do_not_print=".emoji"]
- Yield: 8 Meals
- Cook Time:
Visually appealing, savory, sweet, and comforting. It’s the quintessential fall meal.
- 3 Delicata squash – Yields around 5 cups cooked
- 1.5lbs ground chicken
- 1.5 lbs ground Chicken sausage (Italian Flavor)
- 3 cups Tuscan Kale
- 1 cup Red Cabbage
- 8 Tbsp Dried Cherries (I measure this way because I add garnishes to each meal separately)
- 8 Tsp Feta Cheese (I prefer Bulgarian Feta)
- 8 Tsp Pepitas
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Raw Honey
SQUASH PREP STEPS
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Clean delicata squash under warm running water
- Cut squash lengthwise and with a spoon clean out seeds.
- Cut each section into 1/2” half moon pieces (yes you can eat the rind, yaaaaay!)
- In a large mixing bowl toss with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Arrange evenly on baking sheet, bake for 30 min, making sure to flip each piece with a spatula every 10 minutes or so.
PREP STEPS – While Squash is roasting
- In a large pot cook up ground chicken & ground sausage on medium heat
- While your meat is cooking prepare kale by extracting the rib, layering 2-3 kale leaves on cutting board, roll up like sushi and cut into ribbons. (trust me this is much easier than trying to chop the large leaves individually…PAIN!)
- Toss in large mixing bowl and massage kale by hand with a tiny bit of olive oil. (this helps breakdown the leaves so they’re not so tough)
- Chop up cabbage; by this time your meat should be almost cooked.
- Take kale/cabbage mixture and combine in pot with still cooking meat.
- Stir in honey, apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Next add dried cherries, pepitas, and feta to the pot and mix ….OR if you’re fussy like me you can top each individual lunch container with these garnishes. I can’t help myself, I like things to be equal and visually appealing!
MEAL ASSEMBLY –
- Place 8 food prep containers of your choice on the counter
- Measuring cups come in very handy for this part. Fill each container evenly with chicken/kale mix. (each container was approximately 1 1-2 cups)
- Next layer – evenly disperse delicata (approximately 5 slices each)
- If you’re OCD like me you can now garnish each container with dried cherries, pepitas, and feta. This is where the Tbsp & Tspn measurements come in.
Calories – 334
Carbs – 29 g
Protein – 25.5 g
Fat – 15 g
If you are logging this recipe into MyFitnessPal, I have entered the entire recipe already for our convenience. You can find it by searching "Nicole Darabi’s DELICATA SQUASH WARM KALE SALAD".
THE INSIDE JOB: containers to use, how long it lasts, how much to prep, mistakes not to make, how to add custom flavor….etc.
You can totally make this meal vegetarian if you’d like by replacing ground chicken with Tofurkey or tempeh.
Remember, it’s YOU vs. YOU!
Follow Nicole Darabi on Instagram and show me what recipes you are making from my blog! Use the hashtag #nicoledarabirecipes so that I can see what you are making in your kitchen!